- if it’s more than 3 clicks away you can’t monetize it
Endeca: how do you get to a 1.1 Billion aquisition?
- they became a platform kind of by accident, after tech crash they were simply solving any problem clients could throw at them
- painkiller or vitamin?
- Macro-economic issues make a big difference for small businesses.
- “our success in ecommerce clouded our ability to see how we could be successful outside of that”
- in e-commerce you sell to businesses and developers
- IT doesn’t want to be in the business of software development
- One of the challenges of product management: you’re always thinking of the customers you have, but we need to really think of the ones we don’t have!
- ideas are not in short supply, ideas vs execution
- there is a middle ground: “figuring it out” is the fulcrum between those two
- early customers might not alwyas be right
- experience must be placed in context: success in one contest doesn’t ncessarily translate into success in another
- timing, territory, and talent
- the process of starting a business is summarized by “the relentless pursuit of credibility”
general principles taught, learned, and earned
- pursue markets you are passionate about
- sidestory: lol “pinterest of interior designers”
- on the current bubble
- “the crash will be painful”
- “early 90’s same thing happened with hardware”
- “the best measure is when you drive on 101, look at how much traffic there is”
- “do busines in Boston, silicon valley is toxic for anything long term”
Product Development in the Real World
Product Managing/Architecting a “business”
- culture doesn’t just happen
- credibility doesn’t just happen
Thinking about careers
- Macro trends matter: “plastics” vs aerospace vs internet bubble
- Princeton in the Nation’s Service